Am I eligible to apply for an EU Blue Card?
To apply for an EU Blue Card, the applicant must:
- have a valid work contract or binding job offer for highly qualified employment with a duration of at least 1 year;
- meet the minimum salary threshold in the Member State concerned (see below);
- for regulated professions: present documents proving that the national legal requirements are met;
- for unregulated professions: present documents proving that the relevant higher professional qualifications are met;
- present a valid travel document, an application for a visa or a visa (if necessary), and a valid residence permit or a national long-term visa (if appropriate);
- present a proof of sickness insurance (or a proof of having applied for it).
In addition, the applicant must not pose a threat to public policy in the view of the Member State. S/he may also be required to provide his/her address in that Member State.
How much do I have to earn to qualify for an EU Blue Card?
The gross annual salary resulting from the monthly or annual salary specified in the work contract or binding job offer must be equal to or higher than the relevant salary threshold defined by the Member State (at least 1.5 times the average gross annual salary in the Member State concerned).
For 2023, Finland set the minimum salary threshold at: 62 508 EUR (or 5 209 EUR per month).
Are there exceptions to the minimum salary requirement?
Will EU citizens' applications be prioritised over mine?
Some Member States apply a Labour Market Test (LMT). This is a mechanism that aims to ensure that migrant workers are only admitted after employers have unsuccessfully searched for national workers, EU citizens (in EU Member States this also means EEA workers) or legally residing third-country nationals with access to the labour market according to national legislation.
Finland does not apply a labour market test.
How long will my EU Blue Card be valid?
The standard period of validity in Finland is: two years.
Specific rules: in Finland, the EU Blue Card is issued for a period of two years. If the employment contract is of shorter duration, the EU Blue Card shall be issued for the duration of the contract plus three months.
How much will it cost?
Initial EU Blue Card fee: Paper application: 480 EUR, online application: 380 EUR.
Extended permit fee: Paper application: 430 EUR, online application: 160 EUR.
Fee for express issuance: N/A.
How long will it take to get my EU Blue Card?
National law foresees that the maximum processing time for issuing an EU Blue Card in Finland is 90 days.
|Number of EU Blue Cards issued in 2022:||360|
|Fee (EUR):||Paper first application: 480, online application: 380|
|Salary threshold (EUR):||62 508 EUR (or 5 209 EUR per month)|
|Apply links:||Apply for an EU Blue Card in Finland|