If you legally reside in Germany, you can apply to reunite with the following family members:
- your spouse of at least 18 years of age or the same-sex partner in a registered partnership;
- children under 16 years;
- children up to 18 years under certain conditions;
- children over 18 years and other family members in cases of extraordinary hardship.
Your family members must obtain:
- a visa; and
- a residence permit.
Spouses and partners must also fulfil certain integration conditions.
They will not need a visa if they are from Andorra, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea or the USA.
Reuniting with your spouse/partner
Your spouse shall be entitled to a residence permit if you hold one of the following permits:
- a permanent residence permit (settlement permit or EC long-term resident status);
- a temporary permit for at least two years; or
- a temporary permit at the time of the marriage where the duration of stay is expected to be longer than one year.
Reuniting with your children
- Children can join both their parents until they reach the age of 16 years.
- Children up to 18 years are allowed to join their parents provided that they enter together with their parents.
- Children up to 18 years old may join if they meet the integration conditions, proven by either a good command of German or an ability to integrate on the basis of child education or their way of life.
|Where and how to apply
Family reunification application
Your family members must obtain a visa from the embassy or consulate of their country of origin or of permanent residence. The rules of the Residence Act governing the issue of residence permits are applicable.
Your spouse or partner must fulfil certain integration conditions before entry. He or she must prove, as a general rule, the ability to communicate in everyday situations using basic German.
Nationals of Australia, Andorra, Brazil, Canada, Honduras, Israel, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, San Marino, South Korea or the USA who do not need to apply for a visa are exempt from the language requirement.
You must prove sufficient financial resources and accommodation. Your spouse or same-sex partner must prove:
|Duration of validity of permits
A residence permit for family reunification purposes is granted, at maximum, for the period of validity of your residence permit.
Decisions related to residence permits can be challenged before the local administrative courts.