If you hold a residence permit, you are entitled to apply for family reunification.
If you hold a temporary stay visa you may - in some exceptional circumstances - apply for prorogation of permanence to relatives. The exceptional circumstances must occur after a legal entrance in Portugal and the validity of that prorogation of permanence may not exceed the duration of your temporary stay visa.
Family members already living in Portugal are entitled to family reunification provided they have entered the country legally.
Your family members include:
- your spouse or companion provided that the relationship is recognised by the law;
- your minor, dependent children including adopted children and those of your spouse/companion;
- your dependent parents and those of your spouse;
- your children who are under your care and/or the care of your spouse and who are studying in Portugal;
- minor brothers or sisters who are under your custody.